English Language School

Homestay Services

Live with a Canadian family, experience Canadian culture and practice your English beyond the classroom. We have a roster of over 400 Homestay families who want to welcome you into their homes.

Approximately 400 host families have been carefully selected from the Edmonton community to ensure that they have a genuine interest in having a cross-cultural exchange. Both the host family and student have a unique learning experience and often develop bonds that last a lifetime.

International students quickly learn the benefits of participating in the Homestay Program while learning English. The program is specially designed for students who speak English as a second or additional language.

Homestay is for you if you are:

  • a full-time, international student at the University of Alberta whose first language is not English.
  • 18 years of age or older by the first day of your program.
  • willing to participate in the Homestay Program for a minimum of two months.
  • would like to experience life in Canada while living with a Canadian family.


  • Accommodation from the weekend before the course start date to the weekend after the course ends.
  • Host families provide a private, furnished bedroom.
  • Breakfast, lunch and dinner, seven days a week, is included and provided by the host family.
  • Convenient location: we select homes that are on bus routes to the University of Alberta (normally a maximum of a 45-minute transit trip from the University).

Other housing options

University of Alberta Housing

Residence Services operates several student housing facilities on the University campus. If you wish to apply for on-campus housing, you can choose where you want to live by reviewing the residences on the Prospective Residents section of their website.

When you are ready to apply, you can start here to complete your application and submit your $25 residence application fee by credit card.

You will be offered housing if you have received your Letter of Acceptance to the English Language School. If you need help you can contact Residence Services directly at housing@ualberta.ca.